What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a disorder in which either your pancreas does not produce enough insulin or your body is unable to utilize insulin properly, both of which cause the blood sugar levels in the body to rise. If left uncontrolled, it leads to several complications.
Diabetes is not just a disease, but a disorder, which means that it is a collection of symptoms, and sexual dysfunction is one of them.
Diabetic men may experience many kinds of sexual problems, including decreased sex drive (libido), erectile dysfunction (trouble getting and keeping an erection), premature ejaculation, decreased sensation during sex, delayed or absent orgasm.
According to a study published by American Diabetes Association, 35-75% of diabetic men go on to suffer from erectile dysfunction (ED).
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction (also known as ED) is the repeated inability to get or keep an erection that is firm enough for sexual intercourse. It is one of the most common sexual dysfunction issues in men and it is estimated that about 30 million men have ED.
Why does diabetes cause erectile dysfunction?
Diabetes causes erectile dysfunction in men due to the following reasons:
- Poor Blood Flow: Diabetes has a detrimental effect on the blood vessels, especially the smaller ones like those that are present in the penis. The blood vessels become narrow and stiff, which obstructs the blood flow to the penis. Proper blood flow to the penis is an absolute necessity to get an erection, and when this is impaired, it leads to erectile dysfunction.
- Damage to Nerve Endings: One of the most common complications of diabetes is neuropathy or nerve damage. The parasympathetic nervous system is responsible for erection and damage to its nerves causes erectile dysfunction.
- Hormone Imbalance: Diabetes also adversely affects kidneys which leads to abnormalities in the amount and type of hormones produced, including the hormones that play a vital role in sexual function.
- Medication Side Effects: It has been estimated that about 25% of cases of ED are a result of side effects to medications. Common medications prescribed for the treatment of diabetes and its complications have sexual dysfunction listed as one of the side effects.
Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction Due to Diabetes
The good news is that most of the symptoms of sexual dysfunction are reversible and treatable! Read on to know how this diabetic complication can be minimized.
- Optimum control of blood sugar levels with the help of diabetic medications.
- Eat a Diabetes-friendly diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables, avoid processed foods, and avoid sugar.
- Lifestyle changes – Healthy lifestyle changes help treat erectile dysfunction due to diabetes. Some of the most common changes include getting regular exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, reducing stress, and getting adequate sleep.
- Ayurveda has been proved time and again to be very effective in the treatment of erectile dysfunction due to diabetes. Read below to get more insight on this.
Ayurveda for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction Caused by Diabetes
If you are suffering from erectile dysfunction due to diabetes, please consult with an ayurvedic practitioner for treatment. Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine that has been practiced for more than 3,000 years.
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to medicine that considers the whole person, body, mind, and spirit, in the treatment of a disease. It helps treat the root cause of the problem and restore your health.
There are many ayurvedic treatments for erectile dysfunction due to diabetes. Some of the most common treatments include:
- Panchakarma therapy – This is a detoxification treatment that helps cleanse the body and remove toxins. It balances the different doshas of the body and revitalizes all the body organs, including the reproductive organs, thereby improving their function.
- Nadi shodhana Pranayama – This is a yoga breathing exercise that helps cleanse the nadis, or energy channels, in the body. It is especially beneficial for treating diabetes and other chronic diseases.
- Herbal Remedies – Many herbal remedies are used to treat erectile dysfunction due to diabetes. Some of the most common herbs include:
Ginseng: Scientific studies have shown that the active ingredient ginsenosides in ginseng improve erectile dysfunction through different mechanisms. It is also a potent sexual tonic and increases overall stamina.
Shatavari: Shatavari increases blood circulation to the penis, thus helping in erectile dysfunction. It also has a calming effect on the mind and reduces stress-induced erection issues.
Safed Musali: It is a potent aphrodisiac that relieves stress and increases sex drive, libido, and sexual performance.
Gokshura: Gokshura is known to improve men’s sexual health, increase testosterone levels, and improve conditions like premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.
It can be very dangerous to fall prey to the quacks who guarantee miraculous treatments for men’s sexual problems. Erectile dysfunction caused as a complication of diabetes needs to be treated using a scientific approach by expert doctors. Ayurveda has shown ample clinical evidence for effective and safe treatment of both diabetes as well as ED.
You can get one of the best treatments for the problem of ED as well as diabetes at Dr. Monga Medi Clinic. They have vast experience of over 75 years and have helped thousands of patients resolve their sexual problems. They have onboard endocrinologists, who have expertise in treating diabetes and other hormone-related diseases.
An individualized treatment plan is devised for each patient at Dr. Monga Medi Clinic after one-to-one counseling sessions, understanding their treatment needs and best strategies for them. Comprehensive treatment is provided through the powerful amalgamation of Ayurveda and Modern Medicine.
Stress is also laid on counseling, diet, and lifestyle changes, which can help resolve the patient’s sexual issues effectively and safely. You can also avail of their services online.
Is Ayurveda effective in treating diabetes?
Ayurveda has a treasure of several herbs that have been scientifically proven to be effective in treating diabetes. They also have minimal to no side effects. Ayurvedic procedures like Panchkarma are also very helpful in the management of chronic diseases such as Diabetes.
Does diabetes cause erectile dysfunction?
Yes, erectile dysfunction is a complication of uncontrolled diabetes. Further, several allopathic medications are given for the treatment of diabetes also have a side effect of ED.
Can erectile dysfunction caused due to diabetes be treated?
The good news is that erectile dysfunction is a reversible condition, and it can be effectively treated. Ayurveda has been found to be very effective in controlling diabetes and reversing the symptoms of ED.
Do ayurvedic treatments for diabetes and erectile dysfunction have side effects?
As compared to other forms of treatment, Ayurveda provides a holistic approach and is considered one of the safest methods of treatment for sexual dysfunction issues as well as for the management of chronic diseases such as diabetes.